It’s occasionally happens. I’ll be doing OK with everything, but not amazing. You know those days when you just can’t seem to get anything finished – or even started. So I’ll pop onto Facebook or Twitter (I always think it’s for some inspiration, but it’s more likely procrastination because I’m not feeling my best) and I’ll read post after post of how much all my friends and people I admire are achieving. Quite the opposite result of inspiration ensues. I’ll start to feel so down on myself that I’m having a bad day, and worry even more about not getting anything done when everyone else is doing so well. The result? A downward spiral of feeling bad and, ultimately, not getting ANYTHING done at all. A nasty feeling of failure and of being left behind.
Have you ever felt that way? (I’m sure if you have a brain in your head and a heart in your chest you will have). Do you start to doubt yourself and wonder if anyone will notice that you have no idea what you are doing?
I just want to tell you how I deal with these days, maybe it’ll help you out too.
1. Step away from social media (or the situation getting me down).
2. Breathe deeply.
3. Close my eyes and remember a time when I felt like I was doing something amazing that made me feel great. (It changes each time for me) I make sure I remember that time with visions, feelings and sounds.
4. I keep breathing deeply and visualising until I start to feel like I’m back in that moment.
6. I keep going until I feel as amazing as I did then (sometimes it takes a while, but it’s ALWAYS worth it)
7. I open my eyes and notice how different I feel.
8. Get on with what I should be doing!
I always remember that I have the power to change my thoughts and feelings whenever I want. If something is making me feel bad, I’ll do the exercise above and get into a happy state, and then get on with things.
In a state of overwhelm and stress I can never get anything done, but in a happy state I’ll try anything! Even if I have no idea HOW to do it, I know that if I’m happy, I will begin. So I get on and do something, ANYTHING and the way to do the rest will come to me. It’s like a magic trick. Momentum beats procrastination I believe.
Hmmm, I promised I’d share the secrets of becoming a super-hero and I’ve not mentioned it once have I..?
P.S. As usual, here is my supporting video…